Urban Meyer Notre Dame - Urban Meyer Notre Dame 2009

Urban Meyer Notre Dame - Urban Meyer Notre Dame 2009

Urban Meyer is stepping down as head coach of the University of Florida football team, Athletics Director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon.

“I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program,” said Meyer. “I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.”

“After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

“I’m proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

Meyer has a college coaching record of 95-18, including a 56-10 mark at Florida.

He said he would remain in Gainesville to help the university, but had no immediate plans to return to coaching. Meyer is the only head coach to win a pair of national title in the Bowl Championship Series era. He went 56-10 at Florida and had a 22-game winning streak snapped in the S.E.C. title game.